Senior Android Engineer
Lightspark is the easiest, most reliable, enterprise-grade gateway to the Lightning Network, enabling money to move just like bits and bytes do on the Internet. Lightspark services aim to be the fastest, lowest cost, easiest and most reliable way to send and receive payments globally using Lightning. We want to deliver open payments for the Internet at scale and we’re laser-focused on solving real problems for our customers with best-in-class innovative software solutions. We aim to help businesses around the world benefit from real time payments and build amazing new experiences for themselves and their customers. Lightspark is headquartered in Los Angeles but serving the world.
We are looking for engineers who thrive in entrepreneurial environments, enjoy writing and shipping code fast, and can help us build out a great culture of engineering excellence. We’re looking for people who are passionate about building world-changing software and solving complex problems to further our mission, as well as having fun along the way.
As an Android Engineer at Lightspark, you'll be at the forefront of crafting high-quality Android applications and SDKs that redefine user interaction and performance. Collaborating closely with cross-functional teams including designers, product managers, and backend engineers, you'll be instrumental in delivering exceptional mobile solutions. Your mastery of Kotlin will influence technical decisions and shape the evolution of our development practices.
What you’ll be doing:
- Architect, design, and implement sophisticated and user-centric Android applications and SDKs for our customers.
- Translate product and design requirements into clear technical specifications and intuitive user interfaces.
- Develop clean, efficient, and maintainable code, adhering to best practices and coding standards.
- Optimize app and SDK performance and troubleshoot issues to guarantee a seamless user experience.
- Stay current with the latest trends, technologies, and best practices in Android development and Kotlin.
- Contribute to refining our development processes and workflows to facilitate continuous improvement.
- Collaborate effectively with backend engineers to integrate APIs and ensure smooth communication between frontend and backend systems.
- Develop strategies to facilitate comprehensive testing and release of bug-free code. Own the release process of our Kotlin/Java SDKs
- Participate in architectural discussions and offer insights to shape the technical direction of projects.
What we’re looking for:
- Demonstrated success in delivering impactful Android projects.
- 5+ years of experience in Android development, with 2+ in Kotlin.
- Strong command of Android frameworks, Kotlin, Material Design, Jetpack components, and other relevant technologies.
- Familiarity working with various backend APIs - we use GraphQL, but deep GraphQL knowledge is not required.
- Solid grasp of software design principles, patterns, and best practices.
- Exceptional problem-solving aptitude and a passion for tackling intricate technical challenges.
- A passion for learning and always improving your skill set.
- CS degree, or equivalent is ideal but not required. We appreciate and acknowledge that some of the best talent comes from non-traditional backgrounds.
- Experience building and releasing SDKs.
- A passion for building and maintaining open source projects.
- Strong communication skills to write clear documentation and help real customers work through issues.
- A willingness to reach outside of Android and work on Kotlin SDKs which run on our customers’ servers.
Lightspark is on a mission to build an open payment protocol for the Internet at scale and therefore we’re committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace to reflect the customers we serve. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.