Accounting Operations Lead
Lightspark is seeking an Accounting Operations Lead to spearhead the build out of the Accounting function. As the first dedicated hire, you will be pivotal to building the infrastructure of the function and establishing best practices. You will possess a solid knowledge of US GAAP and a proven track record in establishing a seamless financial statement close process. Your ability to intricately apply accounting principles to both our existing operations and exciting new ventures will be integral to our success.
This role is custom-made for someone with boundless optimism for the future and an insatiable appetite for learning. We value adaptability, and you will have a “can-do” attitude, will be optimistic about the future, eager to learn, adaptable to change, and have a strong sense of ownership. You will need to be self-sufficient in order to deliver results.
What you'll be doing:
- Own the monthly financial statement close process
- Manage the transition of the Accounting function in house
- Lead Accounting Operations, including our Revenue, AR, AP, and Bitcoin processes alongside our external accounting partners
- Drive end to end process improvements including identifying developing, documenting and implementing key accounting policy and control procedures
- Implement new accounting standards , changes in accounting policies and operationalize the accounting for new or modified products and services.
- Document the Company’s accounting positions through technical accounting memorandums for new, significant and/or unusual transactions with a particular focus on revenue recognition
- Partner with Product, Legal, Finance, and other teams to support new or evolving products and provide input and explanation throughout the process to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Work closely with our external auditors and bring any accounting analysis to closure in a timely manner.
- Respond to financial inquiries from external and internal parties and communicate accounting matters and concepts to all levels within the organization.
- Ensuring the internal controls related to accounting policies are designed, implemented and operating effectively.
- Working cross functionally to implement various systems requirements
- Support management in completing special projects, ad-hoc questions and initiatives.
What we are looking for:
- 7+ years of experience in a combination of both public accounting/audit (preferably at a Big 4 firm) and in-house corporate accounting/ controllership ideally in fintech, financial services, crypto assets and/or payments
- Active CPA license.
- Strong technical accounting foundation, especially revenue recognition
- Experience with the accounting for crypto assets is a plus; excitement is a must
- Experience leading and managing external partners
- Strong ERP experience
- An ability to work cross-functionally to obtain all relevant facts, understand the business requirements, articulate the accounting requirements and communicate the conclusions reached
- Ability, and enthusiasm, to see challenges as an opportunity to grow
- Experience communicating effectively across a broad range of communication mediums to a variety of different audiences, both internal and external
- Experience navigating a fast paced startup environment
- Ability to work onsite in our HQ in Los Angeles, California
Lightspark is on a mission to build an open payment protocol for the Internet at scale and therefore we’re committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace to reflect the customers we serve. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.